Tuesday 24 September 2013

preserve me

Remember how I mentioned all the beautiful produce up in the north of the country?  Please observe fine examples below.  We are in the thick of strawberry season with massive punnets of strawberries for an absolute steal.  I hope the growers are doing alright out of it, I guess buying it straight from them at the market rather than the big chains gives them a better profit.
 
 
 
 
I love making jam, or stewing the fruit I can't use in time.  It's so nice to have home-made things ready to go in the fridge pantry and freezer.  Kumquat marmalade jam tastes like home to me.  I can't remember a time in the last decade where I've walked away from nanna and pa's house without a jar or two.  And jam with cream on fresh bread is the most delicious way to satisfy groans of hunger pre)and post) dinner.  But enough salivating from me.
 
 
 
 
 
The process always seems to end up rather messy when I'm at the stirring helm.
 
 
And voila! The finished product, ready to cool on the windowsill.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment